Are you suffering from dry, itchy winter skin? Let me give you some pointers on how to help you out.
The reason we get dry skin is that moisture is lost from our skin cells (which are mostly water) into the air. This commonly happens in the winter because during the winter months people spend more time indoors with heaters on. This is normally less humid air. That leaves skin dry, ashy and even cracked. We lose that healthy glow from summer, which is also caused by loss of tan but more so from loss of moisture. Dry skin looks dull and less healthy.
Here are a few simple tips to keep your skin soft and supple during these cold months:
1.Don’t take long hot showers. The heat removes necessary oils from your skin leaving you unprotected and open to drying out your skin more.
2. Use no soap or a very mild soap. Soap is not necessary for most of us and will remove protective oils from your skin.
3. Moisturize your skin with Songcroft Naturals Sweet Almond Massage Oil with Cuceb. The almond oil will seal water in your skin. This is especially good right after you shower.
4. Moisturize your face with SongCroft Naturals Replenishing Skin Serum. It will nourish your facial skin and help keep it soft and supple. This is a special order product and sells for $20.
5. If you have a woodstove, keep a full tea kettle on top so that it releases moisture into the air. If you use electric or forced air heating systems, consider using a humidifier.
6. People often forget to drink water in the winter. Drink lots and lots of water. Just because it’s not hot and sunny does not mean we don’t need to hydrate ourselves. Oh, and for every cup or tea or coffee you have, drink two cups of water. You’ll be amazed at the results!